Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Blessed Is The Spot

May 29th - The Ascension of Baha'u'llah

"Blessed is the spot,
and the house,
and the place,
and the city,
and the heart,
and the mountain,
and the refuge,
and the cave,
and the valley,
and the land,
and the sea,
and the island,
and the meadow
where mention of God hath been made
and His praise glorified.
- Baha'u'llah

One of my favorite spots in Chicago is the Baha'i House of Worship - also known as the "Baha'i Temple" - in Wilmette, on the North Shore. I feel more at peace with myself and the universe whenever I go there.

The Baha'i House of Worship is not only a beautiful work of architecture and a symbol of religious unity. It is also the place where I began my journey as a spiritual seeker.

THE PROMISE OF UNITY

What drew me to the Baha'i Faith initially, eventually drove me away from it later.  

Let me explain.......

The core teachings of the Baha'is, as expounded by the founders; Baha'u'llah, and his son and heir; Abdu'l-Baha, are beautiful and all-embracing. Especially considering that they came out of a rather rigid, fundamentalist middle-eastern culture during the 1800's.

The independent search after truth, unfettered by superstition or tradition;


The oneness of the entire human race, the pivotal principle and fundamental doctrine of the Faith;

 

The basic unity of all religions; 


The condemnation of all forms of prejudice, whether religious, racial, class or national; 


The harmony which must exist between religion and science; 


The equality of men and women, the two wings on which the bird of human kind is able to soar;


The introduction of compulsory education; 


The adoption of a universal auxiliary language; 


The abolition of the extremes of wealth and poverty; 


The institution of a world tribunal for the adjudication of disputes between nations;

 

The exaltation of work, performed in the spirit of service, to the rank  of worship; 


The glorification of justice as the ruling principle in human society, 


Religion as a bulwark for the protection of all peoples and nations; 


The establishment of a permanent and universal peace as the supreme goal of all  mankind.



It could be argued that many of the principles of the Baha'i Faith that were introduced to western society at the turn of the 20th century were at least partially influential in bringing about some very broad changes.  Women's suffrage and the institution of the United Nations Organization could be worthy examples.


I saw the promise of religious freedom in the Baha'i teachings. I saw a place where seeking and searching was encouraged and that the drawing together of all religions was an ideal.

However, after a few years of attending "Members Only" meetings and gatherings and hearing over and over the emphasis on mass teaching together with the announcement of endless global plans to bring in masses of new converts; referred to as "Entry by Troops," I realized that the American Evangelical influence on this gentle middle-eastern spirituality had become too great. Baha'i was no longer the unification of all religions with the hope of elimination of religious conflict,  but the ultimate "replacement" for every other religion.

The core value that promoted independent search for truth - ultimately meant that although searching was encouraged; it only was fruitful if you came to the same conclusion about the truth as the majority of other Baha'is!!! Thus my need to investigate "independently" ultimately meant that to be true to this core belief, I had to break ties with the Baha'i organization.

SEPARATING THE WHEAT AND CHAFF

Just recently I've discovered that there is a large "exiled" community of Baha'is that are of a similar mind as mine. Some call themselves "Unenrolled Baha'is" - others have kept the core beliefs in Baha'u'llah and Abdu'l-Baha as teachers of this age, but have identified themselves with other faith communities.

I must admit that I am drawn to the teachings and principles of the Baha'i Faith - they offer a good balance between reality and spirituality, while offering a freedom to practice religion in a variety of forms, according to personality and background - see my previous post on i-Religion.

Last weekend, my experience of feeling at peace as I walked the grounds and sat in the sanctuary of the Baha'i House of Worship, gave me a deep awareness of the Baha'i Faith as my lodestone; the place I come to be reassured during moments of doubt and uncertainty. This has happened to me many times over many years. As my doubts grow and I offer them to my understanding of God for resolution - I somehow find myself drawn back to the Baha'i House of Worship.

THE TOUCH OF THE BUTTERFLY AND THE GAZE OF A DEER

A few years ago, I found myself at the Baha'i House of Worship during a weekday. I had come from a meeting in Chicago and happened to be fairly near and stopped to take a break. I sat in the gardens alone and "talked" with God about my life and where I was going. 

As I sat I felt a very gentle flutter and touch on my shoulder and jumped slightly as I saw a beautiful Butterfly sitting on my right shoulder. It sat there for a few moments and then flew off toward the building - as my eyes followed its line of flight I saw the words inscribed on one of the alcoves of the temple.

"Thy heart is My home; sanctify it for My descent."

Another time as I walked the grounds late at night, after being drawn there yet again, I came face to face with a young fawn - it didn't run and didn't look afraid - it just stared at me for a moment and then walked away. My mind turned to a scripture reference:

Psalm 42

As the deer pants for streams of water, 
       so my soul pants for you, O God.

 My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. 
       When can I go and meet with God?

 My tears have been my food 
       day and night, 
       while men say to me all day long, 
       "Where is your God?"

 These things I remember 
       as I pour out my soul: 
       how I used to go with the multitude, 
       leading the procession to the house of God, 
       with shouts of joy and thanksgiving 
       among the festive throng.

 Why are you downcast, O my soul? 
       Why so disturbed within me? 
       Put your hope in God, 
       for I will yet praise him, 
       my Savior and my God. 
       My soul is downcast within me; 
       therefore I will remember you 
       from the land of the Jordan, 
       the heights of Hermon—from Mount Mizar.

 Deep calls to deep 
       in the roar of your waterfalls; 
       all your waves and breakers 
       have swept over me.

 By day the LORD directs his love, 
       at night his song is with me— 
       a prayer to the God of my life.


A SPIRITUAL LODESTONE

Are these experiences at the Baha'i House of Worship coincidences? Am I being superstitious?

All I can say is that there is something special about the Baha'i House of Worship and the Baha'i Faith.

My wife, Becke, says that the Baha'i Faith is my lodestone. Perhaps she's right and perhaps I am, and have always been, an intentional "Unenrolled Baha'i


P.S. 

Here's a link to another blog that shares another perspective on the Universal faith of Baha'u'llah:

The Limits of Universalism
Bahais Online - Friday, 29 May 2009 © Bahais Online

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i didn't read the whole post. i don't need to. i feel you in many ways. the Baha'i faith seems to be more of a social club than a religion. 5 years ago, i found the faith, found the truth myself and was pressured into "signing" up. it seems many were happy i joined. i left not too long after. too many "fake smiles". i couldn't figure it out. with all the negative stuff going on in the world, all the problems of america it seems too many people, not just Baha'i's, are happy to be breathing air. not that we shouldn't be. but why are you breathing air? i don't find many Bahai's talking about the world unifying principles or what is happening with them. many of the teachers think teaching is promoting the faith, like a commercial. it is hard finding information about the auxiliary language. i happen to know somebody that is on an international committee and there "was" a conference scheduled in beijing, china for 2011 that recently got cancelled. not many of my local Bahai's seem to care.