Sunday, January 11, 2009

Resolution




















" A way of limitless life requires on our part openness, generosity and simplicity. Above all, it requires commitment. Not commitment to a cause or ideology but commitment in our own lives to the simplicity of the daily return to the roots of our own existence, a commitment to respond to life with attention, to create the space in our own lives to live fully. What we learn in meditation , in the silence of it and in the simplicity of it, is that we have nothing to fear from the commitment to creating this space......What we all find in the experience of meditation is that our horizons are expanding, not contracting, and we find, not constraint, but liberty."
- Dom John Main, "Moment in Christ"

At this time of year I am usually still clinging resolutely to the list of new disciplines or attitudes that I intend to develop or improve in the new year.  

I have traditionally made these "New Year's Resolutions" by January 1st, and by as early as January 15th, I have wandered off track and found myself back in the same routine of behaviors and attitudes that are just part of me - the part that I always desire to change.  It's frustrating.

So why do I do it?

This year I realized that the problem with resolutions is perhaps more with how I've defined the word, and the resulting sense of constraint that comes with it. 

I've always applied the idea of resolutions to determinations, or strong intentions. However, there are other meanings:

For example, 
  • In Music: Resolution describes the sound, or voice of a note moving from dissonance to consonance or vice versa. It creates an emotional response in the listener as it releases the tension or drama in a passage of music.
  • In Communication: Resolution describes the process of moving from multiple points of view into a mutually agreed perception or decision.
  • In Photography: Resolution describes the process of bringing an object into clearer view, either through focus or image quality.
  • In Science and Logic: Resolution describes the process of solving a problem or analyzing the elements of a compound.
There are several other meanings - but the one that I like for my purposes today is:


Resolution: The act of analyzing complex notions into simpler ones.

So, this year, my resolution is singular. It is to simplify the complex notions that I have about life and all its parts and to resolve it into a wholistic way of living fully in the present. 
I am commiting myself to practice, as much as possible, a discipline of daily meditation. Sitting quietly, focusing on my breath and drawing my attention to the present moment, and letting mental distractions pass me by for twenty to thirty minutes, twice a day.


MANY IN BELIEFS, ONE IN PRACTICES

As I've studied various religions I've found that although in beliefs they differ widely,  in spiritual practices, for the most part, particularly in contemplative prayer,  - there is much unity. 
It is a shame that the art of contemplation and meditation has become associated with "Eastern" esoteric mysticism these days, because there is much historical evidence of its practice in Ancient and Eastern Christianity. There are tremendous similarities between the spiritual practices of Hinduism, Buddhism, Mystic Judaism, Islamic Sufism and Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Christianity. In fact, there is evidence of direct shared influences between them as their ancient cultures mingled with each other along the "Silk Road."  


MEDITATING FOR PEACE IN 2009
If Buddhists, Christians, Moslems and Jews gather together for silent meditation without discussing doctrines, (i.e. the things that are believed but not provable), there is peace between them. I've seen it......

Recently, after a brief but profound period of silent meditation I felt led to write in my journal:


"Be your true self for the benefit of others"

I'm considering that as my resolution for 2009 - I'll keep you posted.

No comments: