Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The Ukulele Experience

I've found my "bliss".......

My family decided to celebrate my birthday a couple of weeks early this year because of travel schedules and summer trips etc.

My wife, Becke, is extremely creative when it comes to buying gifts for someone like me - who has everything....but this year she outdid herself. She bought me a Ukulele!!!

Up until a few years ago I had not been aware of the true musical potential and beauty of the Ukulele. A number of things changed my mind; first, there was an article about George Harrison, where he shared his passion for playing the Ukulele - George apparently loved the instrument so much that when he traveled, he would often carry several - so that he could "jam" spontaneously with any willing participant!!! In the memorial concert for George at the Albert Hall a few years ago - Paul McCartney brought smiles and tears to the audience when he played "Something" on George's "favorite instrument." Secondly, there has been a "You Tube" video of Ukulele virtuoso Jake Shimabukuro playing "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" - that is absolutely beautiful.

So, Becke bought me a Ukulele....


THE BLISS OF THE UKULELE

I've been playing it almost non stop for three days!!! It is truly my "bliss".......

Some things I've observed about playing a Ukulele

1. It's almost impossible to play anything really sad on a Uke...
2. You can't be egotistical when you're playing a "little" guitar!!!
3. Strumming a Uke creates peace...

I'd recommend that at the next G8 summit, or at the next meeting of powerful world leaders, that Ukuleles be handed out and everyone sing and strum "You Are My Sunshine" or "Here Comes The Sun" or any other happy song together. There will be peace, or at least, laughter.

I haven't been so happy about a musical instrument since I was a kid and I got my very first plastic guitar.....just like the one that John Lennon's holding in this picture...

GIVE PEACE A CHANCE.....

Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.
O Divine Master,
grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood, as to understand;
to be loved, as to love;
for it is in giving that we receive,
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

Amen.

St. Francis of Assisi - 13th century

And Lord, if you can't make ME an instrument - get me a Ukulele......

4 comments:

Howlin' Hobbit said...

Tsk, now! Don't think of it as a "little guitar," think of it as a "bonsai guitar!"

Now, don't you feel even more hip?

HH

Chandira said...

:-) Got here via Jivanta.

I so love that St Francis prayer.

Happy playing!

Steve Robinson said...

VERY cool! My mother is from Hawaii and played the uke in a dance troupe for years. I got into it when Tiny Tim played it on Johnny Carson (Tiptoe Through the Tulips). And yes, youtube has some awesome ukelele virtuosos. Whodathunk???

Paul Moore said...

You should look up ukulelesforpeace.com ..Paul paulmooremusic.com