Monday, April 02, 2007

Fear and Love

"Instructing Thy disciples in the mystery , O Lord,
Thou didst say to them:
My beloved, see that no fear separates you from me,
Though I suffer, it is for the sake of the world.
Let me not be a cause of scandal to you.
I came, not to be served, but to serve,
to give myself for the redemption of the world.
If you are my friends, then imitate me.
Let the first among you be the last.
Let the master be like the servant.
Abide in me and bear fruit,
for I am the vine of life."

- Hymn for Holy Thursday

This week begins what is called "Holy Week" in the Eastern Orthodox Church. The period of focused fasting and repentance of Great Lent is over and the Church commemorates the darkest moment in history - the death of Jesus Christ.

DARKNESS BEFORE THE DAWN

For the early disciples of Jesus - this week must have been vexing and ultimately a shock to them. The week begins with Jesus' triumphant entrance into Jerusalem. In their eyes, they perhaps saw this as the long-awaited arrival of the Messiah - with their Lord and Master receiving the praise that they thought due Him.

In a matter of days, everything would seem to have gone wrong. Jesus would be arrested and tried on trumped-up charges of blasphemy, treason and insurrection, then tortured and put to death in the most excruciating and de-humanizing way known to man at that time.

If I picture myself during these events, as a disciple, I fear that, like Peter, I would have abandoned Jesus. Why wouldn't I?- I have "abandoned" Him for much less; for personal comfort and for momentary doubts that I justified in my mind through self-satisfying logic.

It was truly the darkest moment in history - all hope was gone - all promises had been broken. The despair must have been unbearable.

POST CRUCIFIXION CHRISTIANS

Living from a "Post-Crucifixion" perspective, it is hard for us to realize what that little band of "brothers and sisters" went through.

So much that the Church does at this time of year is to aid us in remembering. Remembering is truly a significant aspect of faith and love. When we remember something - we awaken our experience of it and re-enter into relationship with it, beyond time.

One of the problems that I have with reading the Bible, and I'm sure others experience the same thing, is that I often find myself reading half-heartedly, because I've read it so many times before, and I lose focus on the depth of the experience from which the words come.

In the Orthodox Church, the various aspects of its form of worship, the scripture readings, the lighting of candles and incense, making prostrations or bows, make the experience a total physical involvement - not just a mental or emotional exercise. During Holy Week, this experience is more intensified by the increased volume of scripture readings that put the whole event of the Crucifixion and Resurrection of Christ into the context of Biblical and current history.

THE BRIDEGROOM SERVICES

The Church gatherings for Holy Week are called the "Bridegroom" services, based on the theme of the Parable of the Ten Virgins found in Matthew 25:1-13.

"Behold! the Bridegroom comes at midnight,
and blessed is the servant whom He shall find watching; and again,
unworthy is the servant whom He shall find heedless.


Beware, therefore, O my soul,
do not be weighed down with sleep,
lest you be given up to death,
and lest you be shut out of the Kingdom"
-Troparion of Holy Week

The hymns that are sung for this period, leading up to Pascha, or Easter, are a series of beautiful lyrical poems that incorporate scripture passages and imagery that draw out the deepest meanings of this period for the Church. In them we can not only share in the experience of despair and darkness that the Pre-Resurrection gathering of disciples felt, but also the wonderful joy that comes as a release from darkness and fear on the morning of Pascha when Christ's light is seen again, in even more intensity than before.

Each time I read or hear the services for Holy Week - I am often aware of a new dimension in their meaning and find new application in them. This year's "favorite" is from the service for Holy Thursday (see above.)

The line: "My beloved, see that no fear separates you from me," keeps echoing through my heart and mind.

FROM FEAR TO LOVE

Before the resurrection - there was great fear and darkness - we were prisoners of our mortality and God seemed distant and out of reach. But now - He has come near - nearer than our closest friend, for He accepts us as even we are unable to accept ourselves.

Christ is Risen - and with Him we can also arise from fear and darkness into light and life.

No comments: